“When summer gathers up her robes of glory, and like a dream of beauty glides away.”
Sarah Helen Whitman
It’s hard to believe that summer is coming to an end. Where did the time go? While I love hot summer days by the pool, I love fall even more! Here is a seasonal checklist to make sure your home is in great shape for the cooler months ahead.
- Start a note on your phone or a paper “to do” list. You’ll find that as you begin to tackle this list, “to do” items will come up. Be prepared and have your note on hand.
- Get a bag/box for donations set up near your front/back door. Try to donate as much as you can!
- Check all sunscreens for expiration dates. Toss expired sunscreen.
- Sort beach towels. Donate older towels to a local animal shelter.
- Sort and purge swim and outdoor toys.
- Sort and purge summer accessories – think googles, sunglasses, visors, hats, pool shoes, etc.
- Sort and purge summer wardrobe.
- Deep clean grill and accessories. Check the cover, make sure you have a good place to store the grill (or a good cover) for when the weather gets cold.
- Patio and porch clean up. Scrub tables and chairs. Clean outdoor cushions. Make sure you have a good cover(s) for your furniture/place to store when the weather gets cold.
- Store outdoor rugs.
- Remove and store outdoor lighting.
- Clean out the garage. Create space for items that need to be stored for the winter.
- Clear out flower beds and weed the yard.
- Check hoses and sprinklers. If you have a sprinkler system, schedule your sprinkler blow out now.
- Walk the perimeter of your home and check for cracked sidewalks, gaps in the foundation or windows.
- Check your walkways.
- Clean and cover A/C.
- Check furnace filters. It’s helpful to set a calendar reminder so that you remember to change them regularly out during the winter.