“If you want to improve your life immediately, clean out a closet. Often what we hold onto holds us back.”
I’m a big believer that how you start your morning matters. It sets the tone for the rest of the day. Waking up to a mess is stressful. Especially when you are trying to get the kids to school, yourself to work, and can’t find what you are looking for!
Rest assured, there is a better way. Creating calm is about fostering habits and ways of thinking that support our goals. By altering our physical environment, we are forced to change our behavior. The more thought and intention we put into organizing a space, the more likely the new behavior will stick.
Organizing any space can be overwhelming, but by following these easy steps, you will create calm in no time!
- Remove all contents. Take every item out of the closet so that you are starting with a blank slate.
- Deep clean. It’s likely that the last time your closet was empty was when you moved in. Take advantage of this opportunity to do a deep clean. You won’t regret it!
- Categorize and sort your clothes, shoes, and accessories. Group all like items together.
- Purge! Most closets contain a relic or two. It’s time to ask the tough questions. Do I use it? Need it? Love it? If the answer is no to any one of those questions, it’s time to let it go. Remember, having too much of anything usually creates stress, not calm.
- Toss, donate, sell. Toss items that are broken or cannot be recycled. Donate items that can serve others. Only sell items that are like new and of value.
- Create systems. If you have the space, separate items by season. Clothing can also be organized by length, color, and the weight of the garment. Always keep like items together, such as sweaters, shoes, hats, jewelry, etc.
- Style. This step is often overlooked, but essential. Matching hangers, attractive bins, and clothes laid out in a way that is aesthetically pleasing makes all the difference when it comes to maintaining your closet. The more time and effort you put into this project, the more likely you are to maintain it for years to come.
- Maintain. Now that every item in your closet has a “home,” you will know where to return them when done with use.
Create Calm wants to hear from you! Send us a note and a pic of your transformed space!