“Care for your clothes, like the good friends they are.”
When we invest in a well-made, timeless piece of clothing, we want it to last! Here are a few expert tips for taking care of your cherished items so that they withstand the test of time. Some of this is obvious, but even the best of us sometimes skip a step.
- Read labels. Be sure to pay attention to laundering instructions – they’re there for a reason!
- Sort your laundry – whites, darks, mediums, and be sure to separate out delicates and pre-spot clothes that are heavily soiled.
- Treat stains ASAP with a natural stain remover. Waiting too long may lead to permanent stains.
- Choose the right temperature setting. Hot water for whites, warm for light-colored, cold for darks and delicates.
- Use an eco-friendly laundry detergent, such as Molly’s Suds. Our skin is our largest organ. Let’s keep toxic chemicals and irritants off of our skin!
- Wash darker clothes inside out to prevent fading.
- Air dry when possible. This not only extends the life of the garment, it’s better for the earth!
- Become friends with an iron. Ironing is a lost art, and one that we should bring back! Not only will it cut way down on the cost of dry cleaning, you lessen your exposure to toxic chemicals and plastics. Personally, I have come to look forward to my weekly ironing! It’s like moving meditation for me, and it forces me to slow down and appreciate my clothing! Just be sure to use the right level of heat and steam for each garment.
- Invest in a hand-held steamer. Using a steamer between washings can help get rid of wrinkles.
- Store your clothes properly. Make sure they are always clean and pressed before storing. Fold whenever possible, and fold along the seams. Use natural, breathable bins to store folded seasonal clothes. Consider cedar and lavender pouches to keep critters away and your clothes smelling fresh.
What are some of your laundry tips and tricks?