For the month of December, Create Calm has been focusing on a few of our “Favorite Things” that make organizing easier. Here are nine of our Favorite Things:
- To-do lists. Keeping an ongoing note on your phone or small notebook is key to staying organized. You can jot down all of those ideas, tasks, and errands that pop into your head all the time!
- Planners. The key to living an organized life is simple – plan, do, repeat. Get your planner out and map out when and how you will accomplish each item on your to-do list. Pro tip: Be sure to build in time for self-care. A balanced life is a good life!
- Mantras. Using a mantra is a great way to stay on track when building new habits. Right now, our favorite mantra is “Do It Now.” Most tasks take only a few minutes to complete, but we create so much unnecessary stress and extra work by putting them off. What may only take a few minutes now (like putting away that stack of laundry) can take twice as long down the road. Choose to keep life simple and just do it now! You will thank yourself later.
- Waking up to a tidy kitchen. Every night before bed, take a few minutes to put all the dishes away, wipe down the counters and sink, and set up your coffee machine. These quick nighttime routines help to start each day off on the right foot!
- Coffee! It sounds obvious, but the list of health benefits of coffee is long, and includes lowering your risk of heart disease and stroke. Coffee can also improve your energy level, helping you through any organizing project!
- The pre-holiday purge. December is the perfect time of year to purge items you no longer need or use. Donate them to your favorite charity. You will feel good knowing they have found a new home and are bringing someone else joy!
- Pretty bins and label makers. Any cluttered space can be quickly transformed with these with these two organizing tools! Group like items together to put in a bin and choose an attractive label to attach to the bin. You will be amazed by how this increases your sense of well-being!
- A deep clean. Regular cleaning helps you maintain a tidy home. But once (or twice!) a year it’s a good idea to dive in and do a deep clean of those spaces that might get neglected during routine cleaning. Be sure to declutter and put things away BEFORE you start your deep clean. This will make the cleaning go much faster. Keeping our homes clean and organized helps us to be more productive and feel better about ourselves!
- Clearing mental clutter. “The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.” -Marcus Aurelius. By now, most of us know that we should only keep things that bring us joy. This also applies to our thoughts! Considering letting go of toxic relationships, self-doubt, and comparing yourself to others. Replace those negative thoughts with compassion, self-love, and actively seek out the good in every situation!
Happy Holidays from Create Calm!